Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Stuff You May Not Know About Me

Damn you, Amanda!! Tagging me with this crazy quiz!!

Every now and I then I wander over to the blog of my good friend, Amanda Regier. The other day she has this post about stuff I didn't know about her.

"Cool," I think to myself! "Let's read the things I don't know about Amanda!!"

Then I get to the end and she's tagged me. Damn. Here's how it works:

1: Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
2: People who are tagged, write a blog post about their own 8 random things, and post these rules.
3: At the end of your post you need to tag 8 people and include their names.
4: You may need to leave them a comment and tell them they’re tagged, and to read your blog

1. There Really Are People I Genuinely Do Not Like
I know this is hard to believe, but it's true. "But," you say to yourself, "Sam, you get along with everyone! What are you saying?" Well, my dear, I'm saying that I'm a highly skilled actor who is also adept at politics. I can smile at you, but I may not even like you.

Wow, this has started off really, really mean! Let's keep going!!!!

2. I Almost Exclusively Read Mystery Fiction In My Spare Time
I can't help it. My mother got me into it at a young age and I can't stop. And it's not just any mystery fiction. I have about 3 or 4 authors I like and their books are the only ones I read. These authors have a way with dialogue and characters that is really insightful -- it makes for good reading. Of course, only having 3 or 4 authors to read means that I've read many of the same books many, many times over. And I still like reading them again!

3. I'm Now A Sort-of Anglican
I've recently been attending an Anglican church. And I love it. I even went to the Newcomer's Lunch a few weeks ago. I don't know if there's some sort of blood rite I have to do to not be "sort-of" anymore, but I'll probably do it soon.

4. My Secret Ambition Is To Be A Radio DJ
When I was a kid, my sister and I would pretend to be DJs on the radio by having a blank tape in the recording side of the dual tape deck. I would have all my music tapes queued up to the songs I wanted to play on my radio station (Radio K-I-R-K. Snappy, huh?), put them into the play-only side and then I would turn the external mic on and off to do my segues into and out of songs. As I grew up, I loved morning drive-time radio and I wondered what it would be like to host my own show. Maybe I'll start doing podcasts. The only thing now is that I don't know what I would do my show on if I was to become a DJ! Stupid growing up!

5. I'm a Complete Chicken When It Comes to Girls
I know I come across as confident and well-assured. But, I'm really not when it comes to asking girls out. So, if you're a girl and I asked you out on a date at some time in my life, then count yourself really lucky that I actually got the courage up to do that. Or not.

6. I Miss Being a Musician and an Actor
Not enough to actually drop everything and start getting my chops back, but enough that I get a bit jealous when I go to concerts or plays where friends I used to play/act with (and who, quite frankly, I was way better than at one time) are on stage. Part of me wants to be loved by all and I want you to love me while I'm on stage!! It's one of my tragic flaws. If this was Shakespeare, the play of my life would end with me getting killed by my bastard step-child/half-brother while giving my final, yet most amazing, performance in front of the whole world.

7. I Smoke... About Half a Pack a Day
A few of you know I smoke. Some of you may have no clue. I love smoking. I'm addicted. But, I'm getting older and my intellect is starting to win out the battle from my nervous system and I'm soon going to quit. I don' t have a day picked yet. That would be too organized.

Taking a cue from Amanda, my last one has something to do with public exposure.

8. My Friends Drove Away As I Was Peeing On the Side of Hwy 1 Near Swift Current, SK
This may not sound like a big deal, but you know that once the seal is broken you can't stop the waterworks and moving in mid-flow wasn't really an option. Needless to say, I had to continue standing where I was (very near the side of the road) with my Block & Tackle (or whatever you may call it) exposed while I finished my business with cars roaring by one early summer morning as I was driving home from Regina. I was 16. Funnily enough, I wasn't that embarrased. I laughed pretty hard, to tell you the truth.

Well, that does it for me. Now I need to pick 8 people to pass this on to. Hmmm...

I pick Seth, Jamie, Eric, Joy, Kara, Christina, Laura, & Jim.

7 comments:

Amanda Lee Smith said...

Sam, that is GReAT stuff! Who're the authors of choice?

p.s.And here I thought you were merely a social smoker!!!

Sam Kirk said...

Glad you liked it! It took me a while to think the first one up and then I couldn't shut off the taps!

Re: you PS... I know... my consumption has increased lately.

Authors:
Dick Francis
Martha Grimes
Ian Rankin

Great characters that just make me feel for them and draw me right in.

Jenn Bateman said...

I like this thing. It seems a bit cathartic. I feel like I've known you forever and I didn't know the DJ one or the mystery fiction one. That's cool.
As far as djing goes, if you ever want to make me a 'mix tape' with your segues, I would welcome it gladly.

Unknown said...

I haven't read much mystery fiction - although I did read "The Maltese Falcon" by Dashiel Hammett once. Does that count?

As for the disliking people thing, I've gotten better at hiding my disdain...but I'm obviously not as good as you, cos I didn't know until now that you disliked me!

joytothehurled said...

Ranger Danger, I've been tagged! Let me think on this here one and get back to you. Here's something to ponder, you suppose if this kept going around often enough people wouldn't have secrets anymore?

Unknown said...

you would be a GREAT DJ!!
YES!!! A PODCAST!!! i think you have good inspiration over in the VO office. something to talk to the VPs about. (oh wait. that's you!).

Tex said...

Ok...darn you and Ransom...I have given in to your demands and played your little game.