Sunday, June 10, 2007

Optimism

I have an optimism for this week that I can't readily justify yet... but I suppose that's what optimism is, right? I could so easily tack over to pessimism, but I'm not really geared that way. Not to say that I can't be pessimistic. I just naturally lean toward optimism -- it's so much healthier for the stomach and the shoulders and the brain.

Last week was completely crazy. But, while one half of my working world seemed to be in flames, another was getting wings. In the end all of the crappiness with work will disappear as problems get resolved, but it's so heartening when good news comes in the middle of crisis.

I know this isn't terribly detailed. There's just some things that are better left unsaid on a blog for many reasons... most of which are legal reasons. I don't relish losing business or getting sued by saying something I would regret later.

*****
The sermon today was about suffering. The book has been I Peter and suffering is the theme. But I had some revelations today about the life of faith that I have chosen.

When I chose to follow Christ, I began a journey that was about endeavoring to be more Christ-like. That meant (and still means) striving for righteousness and being like the Father. When I lived as an unbeliever (which I did for a while), I could do whatever I wanted and there was hardly a decision to be made. I just lived for myself, doing exactly what I wanted to do.

When I decided again to follow Christ, I made a commitment to live differently. To do so involves sacrifice -- I no longer got to live for just myself; I was choosing to live as Someone else told me to live. That's not easy and most of the time I fail miserably at it.

This denial of the easy life -- the seemingly innate way of doing things -- is a form of suffering. It's hard. I may even be abused for it by those around me. I may even hate it. But, it's a choice. It's a choice to live right instead of easy.

If I ever hear another evangelist say something to the effect of following God makes life wonderful and... whatever.... I'm going to vomit. This life of following Christ is hard. It's not easy and very often not fun. But it is right. It is true.