Tuesday, January 30, 2007

You Dirty Rat...

I did not get a whole lot of sleep last night and my eyes are feeling heavy. And I can blame a Rat. (Picture me scowling with squinty eyes!)


Ok, it wasn't this rat.

But, this type of rat!

There's been a critter scurrying around in my ceiling for a little over a week and we in the Kirk house have been a little concerned. It's rather creepy when you're lying in bed trying to go to sleep and you can hear the scampering of little claws and the gnawing of little teeth on the ceiling above your head and you begin to wonder what those said claws and teeth are coming into contact with.

Last night, the Kirk house found out.

I got home last night around midnight and the lights were ablaze throughout, which is pretty odd at that time of the evening.

A flood. A full-on flood had occurred just above the main kitchen which is subsequently just above my suite. The damned rat had eaten through one of the hot water pipes! Fortunately, the folks realized what was happening in a prompt manner and got the water shut off. By the time I arrived, the emergency restoration guy was there (thank you, Luc Deschamps, for coming over) and they had carpet pulled up, towels and buckets everywhere and more than a few "fucks," "shits" and "bastards" filling the air. I even heard my mother utter one of those words. You know she's mad when she lets one of those words pass her lips!

Which reminds me: she's been swearing a lot lately, my mother. She gave me the bird the other day. No wonder I'm a scarred man-child going to therapy 8 days a week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

NO!!! That's amazing!! i'm soooo glad things were taken care of before...well, a soggy ceiling. SEE??! this is why you need a blog. b/c as long as i work 5 minutes away instead of 5 seconds away i'll always find things out too late.

your mom flipped you the bird?? the question is, did you deserve it? Sam, that's the funniest thing since you and keela did up that office list.

Sam Kirk said...

I almost hesitate to say why she raised the offending digit... but I will because, as you know, I have very little shame.

I forgot to take something out of the washing machine and put on the drying rack. I made some joke about my interior decorator (Irene) taking up my time and she proceeded to flip me the bird.

I feel so adolescent.

And why are you still working 5 minutes away when you could be 5 seconds away?

Unknown said...

your INTERIOR DECORATOR! i'd use that excuse too except for that fact that unlike you i don't have an interior decorator. (Irene did tell me about your bartering. looking forward to seeing the results of both creative processes!!)

b/c i can't be 5 seconds away. something to do with God's will. hard to negotiate sometimes. :)