Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Jen, it's time.

My sister and I have this "thing" we do. I can't remember exactly how it came about, but I'm sure Jen will remind me once she reads this post. Anyway, it's this stupid "thing" that I still, to this day, find really funny.

I would go up to Jen and give her this really, really stern look and then I would say: "Jen... it's time."

That's all. And my sister would scrunch up her shoulders and run away screaming.

It's really a Pavlovian thing because the first few times I did it, my simple statement was accompanied by my putting my hands close together and making a sudden movement toward my sister as if I was going to choke her. Then she ran away screaming with shoulders trying to prevent my hands from going around her neck. Later, all I had to say was, "Jen, it's time," to produce the same results.

I didn't actually choke her or even put my hands on her. It was just the motion of doing so. Then the two of us would break out laughing... and do we two know how to laugh!

Why am I telling you this? The answer is simple. I despair that only my sister understands this quirky "thing." I wish one of my clients understood. Then, when I suddenly went silent on the phone and then said, "it's time"... well, they would understand and run away screaming and leave me alone.

Today was such a day. That's all I'm going to say on that subject.
*****
My shoes are still drying out. Sunday it rained so hard I thought it was winter. That's not good when you're trying to show out-of-towners around the most beautiful city on the planet. But, I ended up at places I'd never been before like the Museum of Anthropology and the Nitobe Gardens. I felt a bit like a lame Vancouverite having never been to these places before.

Pssst! Between you and me, I didn't even know that the Nitobe Gardens existed until we drove up to them. Not good. I need to get out of Langley more.
*****
I'm moving soon. I have a really, really cool new place. But, I need a nice couch. I have to work on that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If that's all it took to scare away clients you wouldn't have the chance to murder them...and what fun would that be?

Morbid.

Moving on.

Sunday was gooood. And i think your connections to EVERYONE more than compensates for not knowing about a little garden tucked away at UBC. you must see it in the fall. it's amazing.